Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Zumba Gold classes coming soon!

Phil & I'll be starting Zumba Gold classes soon -- check out the Muevelo website for the latest news & schedules! (click the title of this post to go to the Muevelo website...or click this: http://muevelodancefitness.blogspot.com/ )

here's my bio...

Why I Zumba…a Zumba essay by Meg Morrill

I have never been an athlete, or even an “active” person, and I’ve almost always been “the pudgy kid.” That all changed about 3 years ago when I started sporadically going to the gym to work out. I loved having some “alone time” where I didn’t have to think about work or home, I could listen to music and go at my own pace. I’ve always known exercise was good for me, I just couldn’t always motivate myself to get up and move.

When I was younger, I occasionally played a sport (soccer, field hockey), but I was more often a “manager” – meaning I kept score, helped the players by holding their jewelry, etc. – not a very active job in the least! But I was able to hang out with my friends and still be a part of the action. I tried aerobics, Richard Simmons tapes, water aerobics, etc. I found that I love and am pretty good at yoga (I’m still hoping to become a yoga instructor someday!). I’ve also been known to dance with abandon to all sorts of music…maybe that’s what drew me to Zumba.

I knew Zumba was going to be a tough workout for me—having been sedentary most of my life, it was a big deal to go to a one-hour Zumba class. But I did it, and I kept going, and I’m still going. I haven’t given up. And now I don’t want to. I’ve never been able to do this much exercise…and do it well! (Well, not well per se…but not bad, either!) I’m out there being active, socializing, meeting new people, singing and dancing to the music, laughing and kidding, de-stressing, relaxing, not thinking about the things in my life that cause me stress, having “me” time, sweating, and just enjoying myself. There really isn’t another exercise out there as difficult, fun, or great as Zumba. I’m sure you’ll find you too love the dancing, the camaraderie, the music, the fun, the mental-get-away, everything!

I’ve always been a “teacher” personality (my retired-teacher father instilled this in me), and I’m very excited to start teaching Zumba Gold classes with “The Amazing Phil” at Muevelo Dance Fitness in Chicopee, MA!
Thanks to Nakaia, a.k.a. “Zumba Warrior Princess,” and everyone else who’s helped me on my Zumba journey. I’m sooo glad to be here!

No comments: